Comparative Archaeology Database, University of Pittsburgh
El Hatillo Household Dataset
This dataset serves as a complement to the dissertation Household Space and Communal Interaction in the Prehispanic Village of El Hatillo, Panama by William A. Locascio (which can be freely downloaded from the University of Pittsburgh's Electronic Theses and Dissertations Database). It provides detailed data on the archeaological remains from household contexts recoverd at the El Hatillo site, Panama, which are discussed in full in the dissertation, whose contents are as follows:
- 1 Introduction: Goals and methods of comparing El Hatillo's households.
- 2 Area A Excavations: High status households and the nature of social authority during the peak political period.
- 3 Area B Excavations: Evidence of long term occupation among heavily disturbed remains.
- 4 Area C Excavations: Early high status households and communal life.
- 5 Area D Excavations: Domestic activity and household space among Conte Phase commoners.
- 6 Area E Excavations: Domestic activity and hosehold space among commoners during the peak political period.
- 7 Area F Excavations: Communal events and El Hatillo's decline
- 8 Conclusion: Status differences and household variation through time in a prehispanic panamanian chiefdom.
Funding to collect the data presented here was provided by a National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant (Award No. BCS-0735043).
Locascio, William A. (2010a) Household Space and Communal Interaction in the Prehispanic Village of El Hatillo, Panama. Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of Pittsburgh.
Locascio, William A. (2010b) El Hatillo Household Dataset. Comparative Archaeology Database, University of Pittsburgh. URL: <http://www.cadb.pitt.edu>.
Questions or comments about this dataset or the Comparative Archaeology Database can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org via email.
Maps are included as AutoCAD (Release 12) .DXF files which can be read by many CAD and GIS programs.
|Spatial information: Map with the location of each area and excavation units at the El Hatillo site.|
Numeric data are provided in two file formats. Comma-delimited text files should be easy to import into spreadsheet, database, and statistical programs for manipulation and analysis. Excel spreadsheets are easier to browse, and can also be imported into many programs. The numeric data files are as follows:
|Ceramic Totals: Ceramic counts for each provenience at El Hatillo.||Ceramic Breakdown by Period: Ceramic counts by period for each provenience at El Hatillo.|
|Ceramic Breakdown by Vessel Form: Ceramic counts by vessel form for each provenience at El Hatillo.||Faunal Inventory: Faunal counts by species for each provenience at El Hatillo.|
|Lithic Inventory: Lithic counts by type for each provenience at El Hatillo.|
Return to the Comparative Archaeology Database Homepage
Haga click aquí para la versión en español de esta Base de Datos